The costs of a funeral can vary immensely, as it really is as individual as the life that person lived. There are some fixed costs that apply to the practicalities of the process, and variable costs dependent on the type of service you would like.
As a guide, we have provided below a brief summary of the costs attributed to our service, and the costs we pay to third-parties. Your funeral director will be happy to provide more information as required.
The cost of a funeral is divided into two parts:
- Fees due to us for the services that we personally provide
- Fees due to third-parties, called disbursements, which we pay on your behalf.
We are able to offer a simple funeral for £450 plus the £499 Dundee cremation fee (total £949). Should this option be chosen for Kirkcaldy Crematorium then the relevant cremation fee is £592 (total £1,042). We also offer a simple, direct, unattended burial for £450 plus relevant burial cost.
This direct cremation is for a strictly private service with no family or friends present. The only available times for this service at Dundee Crematorium are 8.15 a.m. and 8.20 a.m. Monday to Friday. This cost includes:
- Our Professional Services including preparing and submitting all statutory paperwork
- Transfer of your loved one to our rest rooms (within a 25-mile radius) from hospital, private residence, nursing or care home with your loved one being in our care until the funeral
- Fully furnished flat lid coffin
- Transportation in an appropriate vehicle to the crematorium
We offer our own Affordable and Respectful Funeral Package with our charges starting from £1380 including a simple coffin, provision of a hearse for the funeral, caring for and bringing your loved one into our care (within a 25 mile radius), viewing within office hours and all our professional charges.
If you obtain a written quotation offering comparable service and facilities from a local funeral director we will beat it.
Many families wish to extend this basic service to reflect a more traditional funeral and our services can extend to include:
- Making all the necessary arrangements on your family’s behalf including: the initial meeting, arranging intimations, handling and care of floral tributes and donations, making and receiving all necessary telephone calls and arranging the attendance of the Minister or the Priest at the funeral service if required
- Removal from place of death to our rest rooms and if required taking your loved one home or to a Church or other place for the funeral
- Provision of a robe or dressing your loved one in their own clothes
- Use of the rest rooms prior to the funeral, care of the deceased and viewing facilities including hygienic treatment
- Use of service rooms
- Provision of hearse and/or limousine(s)
- Supply of fully furnished coffin
- Preparation and printing of order of service sheets
- Organising and paying all the disbursements on your behalf
As with disbursements, a written estimate of all costs will be provided at the end of your initial meeting with your Funeral Director. Once your Funeral Director has finalised the funeral arrangements they will send you confirmation of the arrangements together with a detailed estimate of costs.
How often do you review your costs?
We review our fees on a yearly basis in line with changes to regulatory fees such as cremation costs or cemetery charges, and price increases from our third-party suppliers such as florists and newspapers.
“As the region’s largest independent funeral directors, we employ an experienced team of technicians, embalmers and chauffeurs. This allows us to control our own running costs with greater ease than a national chain of operators. We promise to always deliver a professional local service, and because our funerals are priced individually, rather than a package cost, you only pay for what’s right for you.” – Grant Speedie, Director, James Ashton & Son Ltd
Do you price match?
Regardless of your financial circumstances, we guarantee to provide a dignified funeral of the highest standard and promise that if you obtain a written quotation offering comparable service and facilities from a local funeral director we will beat it.